Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Joe's Non-Notebook

My professor posted a link to a video on YouTube. It’s called Joe’s Non-Notebook. A boy is reading a traditional book and trying to use the same tools he would use on the internet. Things like drag-and-drop, copy and paste, and clicking on highlighted words or pictures to get further information on the particular item. Now, Joe’s Non-Notebook is a funny piece, but I think it also brings out many truths. I think many kids or people in general rely on technology. Many would prefer to read something on the internet rather than to read it from a traditional book. Growing up, reading out of traditional books was the only option until the computer-age started to grow. Yet, the computer was a reward rather than a choice for education. The video of Joe’s Non-Notebook is what many student experience today. They enjoy the many luxuries of the computer and internet, and when it comes to traditional means they don’t know what to do. Moreover, they don’t want to do anything. When I was student teaching, I assigned a multitude of different activities. I did this to make sure that every kind of learner would get that kind of attention they needed. I found that when I assigned reading assignments in their text books, many of them would not read, but just stare into space or do other things to occupy their time. Some students enjoyed reading and did what was asked of them. So many students are spoiled by technological advances that when it comes to doing the work themselves, they simply don’t want any part of it. Consequently, to help with students who did not follow instructions and read the assigned readings in class, I played the “read-aloud” c.d. that came with the book. That would make it easier for the students to follow along, wouldn’t it? Well, in some cases it did and some it didn’t. Some of the students followed along with the reading in their books as it was read aloud. Others still would not pay attention and would quickly turn the page as they heard everyone turn theirs. With all of that being said, I think it is very important that there is a good mixture traditional means of education and those that involve technology. Therefore, students will possess both skills they need that are, in my opinion, equally important. Then maybe we can get rid of some those excuses, “my computer wasn’t working,” or “my internet was down,” when the encyclopedia was still intact on the bookshelf…dusty, but intact. Lol! I’m not saying get rid of technology because I think it is desperately needed, I don’t think it is good to solely rely on it. Some students rely on it too much and have been spoiled. When it come to doing traditional things…reading and writing…they don’t want to do it when the can basically copy and paste on the computer. Joe’s Non-Notebook is funny and a clever piece but what is the underlying message?

2 comments:

  1. Brittany-

    I too found the piece clever and agree that students do too often rely on their knowledge of technology sources. They choose not to utilize their "old school" resources like texbooks, or maybe don't ven know how.

    As a math teacher I think I see less value in the traditional textbook, however. The texbooks provide examples and practice problems, but if they are in class for the lesson, the example part of the text isn't generally needed. I do understand the value of using a text in addition to other methods in other areas like English or Social Studies, however.

    Your post also made me think about how eliminating textbooks and having lessons available online isn't a great solution for those who really do have broken computers or no access to the internet at home. If not a textbook, there would have to be some tangible materials available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this piece was incredibly entertaining and very enlightening. While the students were making fun of the fact that their textbooks did not allow them the same features as an online article, my mind began to wonder about the future of education. Today, it seems like a far cry, but in the all to near future, we may begin to see the removal of textbooks.

    Many of the books currently purchased by schools already offer online versions and/or supplements. I wonder if this is the publisher recognizing that online may indeed be a better way of presenting the same information.

    As I mentioned in my own blog, we may look up in the near future and see that there is no such thing as a text book. Encyclopedia made the switch to Wikipedia, so who knows what could be next. Parents may never pay for a lost or stolen text book again. Just a little something to ponder. . .

    ReplyDelete